Making Falkor

The content below is not a tutorial, but is here to show some of the steps used when creating my Just-For-Fun project of Falkor, particularly in order to demonstrate the value of using core wool.

Creating Falkor the Luck Dragon was very much a labour of love.  As a child I always longed for a Falkor of my very own, but he wasn’t ever produced officially as a toy, and so my ambitions of being able to fly above the streets of Plymouth on my very own dog-type-dragon-thing were sadly to remain unfulfilled.  But when looking for a project in May 2015 it suddenly occurred to me that I could bring my wish to life, using my new-found felting skill.  There began the biggest felting challenge so far – making Falkor.

Starting_Falkor.jpg

Starting Falkor – some of what I used

I had to base a lot of Falkor’s proportions around the size of the eyes I had available, and scale him according to this.  Here you can see what I started with – Exmoor Blueface core wool tops, glass eyes, finger guards, needles and a felting mat.

Falkor_1.jpg

Falkor starts to take shape

Falkor’s head was made by making a ball until it was slightly smaller than the proportions I worked out I needed, and with a tube shape for the muzzle.  I felted these two pieces together and attached the eyes fairly early on as a focal point.

Falkor_2.jpg

Putting the pieces into perspective

I then had to make a rough tubular shape for his body, and a second piece for his tail.  These two pieces would be sewn together later.

Falkor_3.jpg

Face starting to be built up

Falkor’s head then had to be built up to give his face some realistic depth and expression.  Throughout this whole project I struggled with his muzzle, and took scissors to it on several occasions.

Falkor_4.jpg

From the side

 

Falkor_6.jpg

Dragon cruelty – pinning the pieces for size

At this point I had built his body up slightly in core wool and had also made him some legs.

Falkor_7.jpg

Falkor’s Kenneth Williams impression

Working on the nose – this was a pretty tricky process and I kept returning to it throughout the project.  Falkor’s nose is very distinctive, and I wanted to be certain I’d got it right.

Falkor_8.jpg

Checking proportions again

Suddenly his body was starting to look a little short.

Falkor_9.jpg

Starting to come to life

At this point I sewed his head to his body so that I could work on him more as a whole – I feel that this is the point where he started to come to life.

Falkor_10.jpg

Polymer claws

I tried felting claws for him but they looked pretty bad, so I made some out of polymer clay and glued them on with a glue-gun.  I was very happy with the results.

Falkor_11.jpg

Putting him together

Time to start putting the various pieces together!  He now has rudimentary ears.

Falkor the Luck Dragon

Falkor the Luck Dragon – the final result

There are quite a few missing steps, as I didn’t take a record of every step of the process. However, I hope the pictures above give you some idea as to what’s involved in making a needle-felted model from start to finish (ish).

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s